08 January 2007

the One Night Stands, a public hanging.

My One Night Stands are now publicly hanging in the art window at Pages bookstore in Toronto.
Well, six of 'em are. I'm pleased, though very ready for this project to be over. I'm not sure how my well-intentioned projects always end up being creepy, but there it is.
The original idea behind the project was a simple one. Find pictures of strangers sleeping, take one night with each of them (no more no less), make a drawing and then walk away from it. Never go back.

NO I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THEM, AND I HAVEN'T SLEPT WITH ANY OF THEM.
just for the record.

The idea seemed harmless, but as I finished off the book, with my little bits of text and definitions and such, the end product has turned out decidely more ominous.
Weird.

I'm a nice person, in actual fact. Really.

There is a book with the project, that was in fact the end product in question, but they, alas, are still in the finishing stages. In fact the cover drawing is sitting here in front of me right now, in fact. So I'm back to that. Binding 'em tomorrow, bringing 'em to Pages Wednesday. So if anyone feels inclined to pilgrimage to Pages, wait 'til Wednesday and you can see (and buy if you want!) the whole book.

This is silly, but both times I've had a Pages art window I've felt a little like I've won an Oscar or something, I walked by the window tonight and felt a ridiculous moment of pride that something of mine has a home there.
It's the Best Bookstore in Toronto. The Best. I don't care how cheesy and/or fawning it sounds.

No comments: