29 January 2007

yeah, swell.

So.
To any of my reader(s) who got spammed not once, but THREE times today, my Profuse apologies.
I still don't know how/what happened (trying to work it out right now) but, despite running test messages in all three instances, somehow the emails got sent out with only my subscribe/unsubscribe details in them. And though I am quite soliticious when it comes to whether or not people actually want to be on my list, I really don't need it reaffirmed three times, nor do I think people want to reaffirm it.

Anyhow.
My original intention, after a long arduous think about it, was to forward a message that got forwarded to me.
Yes, one of those. That we all already get too many of, that put me through ethical trauma everytime I get them, 'coz I really would rather use my list for what it was originally intended, namely, to let people know what I'm up to, that they might come say hi, buy a book, pat my shoulder if they feel so inclined. I don't know that I feel alright carpet bombing people (a great many of whom i barely know) with my politics.

But here it is below, then, Goddammit, if only to end the ruddy thing.

(And yes, I hereby guarantee that I will no longer forward messages of ANY sort to my mailing list. Senders be warned. I love you, I care about this stuff, but I'm officially traumatized about the whole forwarding messages fiasco.)

Please pass this around. It's a French initiative that is just arriving in North America: The 1st of February 2007. Participate in the biggest mobilization of Citizens Against Global Warming! The Alliance for the Planet [a group of environmental associations] is calling on all citizens to create 5 minutes of electrical rest for the planet. http://www.lalliance.fr

People all over the world should turn off their lights and electrical appliances on the first of February 2007, between 1:55 pm and 2:00 pm in New York, 18:55 for London, and 19:55 for Paris, Bruxelles, and Italy. 1:55pm in Ottawa, 10.:55am on the Pacific Coast of North America. This is not just about saving 5 minutes worth of electricity; this is about getting the attention of the media, politicians, and ourselves. Five minutes of electrical down time for the planet: this does not take long, and costs nothing, and will show all political leaders that global warming is an issue that needs to come first and foremost in political debate. Why February 1? This is the day when the new UN report on global climate change will come out in Paris. This event affects us all, involves us all, and provides an occasion to show how important an issue global warming is to us. If we all participate, this action can have real media and political weight. Please circulate this call to your utmost ability to your network.

No comments: